Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security+ Certification - Is the SANS materials enough?

From: Stephen Mullins <steve.mullins.work () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 14:26:35 -0400

Chip,

I studied a book published by Microsoft that was used as a text book
for a college course a couple of years ago.  I found it to be more
than sufficient to pass the exam.

I had not looked at the SANS Security+ stuff until receiving this
email.  Looking at a few of the articles I don't think this study
guide would be much help for the exam.  Most of these articles go into
too much depth in the wrong subject areas.  I actually work with one
of the authors, interestingly.

I think if you study that SANS material and don't have extensive
existing knowledge you will fail the exam.  You should get a study
guide, I don't think short essays contributed by SANS students is a
replacement for a real study guide.

As for the certs you intend to get, I think it really depends on what
you're trying to do.  The certs you list aren't really security certs.
 Vendor specific certs may or may not be relevant to your particular
environment.

Steve Mullins