Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security+ Certification - Is the SANS materials enough?

From: Daniel LaSalle <dlasalle () i--c ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:08:42 -0400

Greetings Chip!

I have passed the CompTIA Security+ exam twice. The first edition of the exam(2003) and the most up-to-date (2008 objectives) and I can tell you that 2008's exam was alot *LESS* technical than the first edition.

I haven't read anything that you have mentionned in your email to get prepared for either exams, nor the CBT-Nuggers nor the sans.org ressources, but my experience w/ this exam is once you feel _confident enough_ to roam in the security world w/out any notes (encryption, protocols, different types of attacks, solutions, how to secure a box, etc...), that's when you should consider passing the exam.

Again, it's not very technical, more about common sense practices, tho you definately need to go thru all of the cryptographic elements and also SSO, RADIUS, TABACS, TABACS+, VPNs, SSL, ....

To give you a bit more on my background, i have passed 4x different versions of the A+ (2003, and 220-602, 220-603 && 220-604) and twice the Network+ (2006 and 2008).

Every time i go pass an exam, i try going thru *at least* 2 different books and 1 exams.

As far as the other certifications you have mentionned, i am not any familiar w/ the ACSP and have thoughed about becoming MCP but i remember reading an article when the world economy began to "colapse" that organisations not beeing able to pay back for their M$ licences would see their local MCPs handle the charges. That never surprised me coming from redmond. However i was not able to find that article before sending you this email therefore my argument is worth whatever it's worth to you.

After Security+, i definately would love to pass CISSP but i think CEH is more what i'll be looking for. But before, LPI 1, which is definately not security.

I hope this answers a couple of your questions.

Sincerely,

DLS
A+/Security+/Network+

Chip Panarchy wrote:
Hello

I've been studying the CBT-Nuggets for the Security+ certification,
however, haven't had much chance to watch the videos.

In your opinion, would the free articles on this topic be enough to
pass the exam?

http://www.sans.org/resources/security_plus/

As the advantage I see in this is;

- Modular
- Free
- Printable (not 600+ pages)
- Studyable at lunch!!! [biggest advantage over CBT!!!]

Would be interested in your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS: I've recently become Microsoft Certified (MCP) and will eventually
get the MCSA (thanks in part, to Security+). Also planning on studying
these next 2 months for the Apple certification (ACSP). What are your
thoughts on the aforementioned certifications?

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1