Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Security vs Performance

From: Jon Janego <jonjanego () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 11:19:02 -0500

HI,

TKIP and WEP don't work together.  TKIP is a replacement for the
keying handshake in WEP and will only work with a WPA or WPA2
implementation.  (See: the 802.11i specification)

That being said...  if you have control over all of the clients that
will be using the domain (i.e. they are all on the same domain), using
an encryption method of WPA2 + AES and an authentication method of
EAP-TLS (via a FreeRADIUS or Windows 2003/08 RADIUS implementation) is
probably going to be the easiest and most secure way for the users.
You can deploy client certificates over the domain and tie
authentication to the domain accounts.

VPN will work, but from the perspective of the users it is more labor
intensive.  When deploying a secure WLAN network I find it preferable
to make the security as transparent and painless to the users as
possible.  This will allow less chances for them to break it, also!

VPN in a controlled enterprise environment should probably only be
considered if you are having your trusted users share the network with
a loosely-controlled guest network as well.  For most other cases a
secure encryption + secure 802.1X authentication solution is going to
be much easier to maintain.

Best,

Jon Janego
GAWN, CEH

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Leandro Quibem