Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Authentication solution

From: "Matt Flynn" <mflynn () netvision com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 12:41:20 -0600

Mike,

You described a perfect fit scenario for a WebSSO solution - it would
sit as the authentication on your web domain and provide SSO to multiple
apps.  There is some configuration required on each app that you want to
include, but overall these solutions work very well.  You can also
leverage your AD for authenticating internal users and some other source
for external users.  You'll also need a way to create accounts for
external users, but some of the SSO solutions include that capability.
And they give you the ability to manage which external users get access
to each application.

Good solutions are available from CA, Oracle, RSA, IBM and others.  I
can also recommend service providers if you're looking for consultative
help.

BTW - if you have a strategic relationship with another company and want
to authenticate their users based on their own authentication, then
you're looking for a solution that supports "federation", which is
essentially web sso across domains.

Matthew Flynn
Director of Marketing & Strategy
NetVision