Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: looking for a hub or switch that can connect a VPN and apply firewallrules to all ports

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 13:55:44 -0700

  So your clients' Internet traffic doesn't go through the VPN?
(If it did, all the ISP would see is the encrypted tunnel...)

  It sounds to me like the clients' Internet traffic is NATted
at the router, and the VPN is irrelevant.  So your choices are:

1) Police your own network so the ISP doesn't see things they
shouldn't (*), or

2) Purchase routable address space so each of your clients has
their own visible address.  I'm sure the ISP will be glad to
handle the technical details in exchange for a reasonable
monthly charge.

* - This suggestion will rub some folks the wrong way.  I'm
guessing that this is a branch office setup with VPN back to
HQ, and that when a client's Internet traffic prompts the ISP
to pull the plug, the whole office loses connectivity to HQ.
So if users cannot limit their use to things compatible with
the needs of the business, the business doesn't provide them
with Internet access -- or a paycheque.  Deal with it.

David Gillett