Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encryption and Data Retention

From: "Ali, Saqib" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 15:07:26 -0700

Hello,

Encrypting any confidential/special-handling data that leaves the
premise is a good idea. However, you need to address BC Officer's
concerns. The BCP/DRP folks are usually worried that they will not be
able to get hold of decryption keys in case of a actual disaster.
There is couple of ways to mitigate this:

a) Escrow the decryption key; or
b) Use Secret Sharing[1] (preferable)

Thanks
Saqib