Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing RDP - Is this possible?

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 22:17:56 +0200

On 2009-04-14 Chip Panarchy wrote:
Is Secure RDP an impossibility?

No.

I am now working (WOOT) and they seem to use entirely RDP, almost no
VNC...

So?

This, by my reckoning would make the network most insecure.

And why exactly might that be?

Would you agree?

No.

Or is it possible to Secure RDP?

Yes.

RDP already is reasonably secure in itself (a lot more than VNC). If you
want to make it even harder to attack: run the RDP connection through
something like an SSH tunnel or a VPN.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"The Mac OS X kernel should never panic because, when it does, it
seriously inconveniences the user."