Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Interpreting the results of an NMAP scan

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 17:55:01 +0200

On 2009-04-22 Dan Fauxpoint wrote:
I am helping a small business owner to evaluate the quality of his IT
setup. This company has one server which runs Windows Small Business
Server 2003 R2 Premium Edition. This server hosts an Exchange instance
which takes care of incoming and outgoing emails.

I ran an namp scan (nmap -T4 -A -v -PE -PA21,23,80,3389 <IP_address>)
from a machine outside of the company network and got the results
below. I am wondering why ports 80 and 443 are open since the server
does not act as a web server.

What do you think how Outlook _WEB_ Access works?

Also I am wondering if the Linksys router should be visible from the
outside world ...

No, it shouldn't.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"The Mac OS X kernel should never panic because, when it does, it
seriously inconveniences the user."