Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Transmitting Sensitive Information between Servers

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:52:55 -0700

  That's a good point about hashes.  If the password always encrypts
to the same thing, an attacker doesn't need to know what the user
types in -- he can just supply what that looks like when transmitted
on the network.  This is called a "replay" attack, and is prevented
by introducing a session key or a challenge-response mechanism.
  To "not revealing the password in cleartext transmission", these
add the necessary other property "require the other host to demonstrate
knowledge of the password at this time" which simply sending it
encrypted may not guarantee.

David Gillett