Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: second-tier firewall replacement

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:41:58 -0700

  Your auditor is correct.  One of the reasons for choosing a
2-tier configuration instead of a 3-legged configuration is
so that an attacker should not have a single exploit that
gets him all the way into the trusted network zone.  Even
though the policies at the two tiers should be different,
using the same vendor opens you to the risk that an exploit
might be discovered which bypasses the rulesets of both
boxes.

  Since your outer tier firewall is exposed to the semi-random
"noise" of the Internet, performance may be an issue, and so
SPI -- Stateful Packet Inspection -- delivers good value for
the money.  Ideally, the second tier should not just be a
different brand but take a different approach:  a proxying
"application" firewall.  These tend to be more resource
intensive (bad choice for first tier) but can also detect
things that would sail right past an SPI firewall.
  I'm not sure exactly why you have an auditor looking at
your configuration, but the PCI DSS rules specify an
"application firewall", and a good argument can be made that
a proxy qualifies and an SPI firewall does not.

  From what I've looked at closely, Blue Coat is my personal
favourite, but others may have their own recommendations.

David Gillett