Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: second-tier firewall replacement

From: "Eric Ong" <eric.ccong () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 00:39:09 +0800

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments.

I have more questions about my 2-tier firewall selection.

Since my network doesn't have any segmentation, that is ONLY one
sub-net. my second-tier firewall is worked as a transparent mode
firewall. I know that the LAN segmentation is important for both
performance and security point of view. However, due to the limitation
of the too many server/application/.. , it cannot implement the LAN
segmentation now.

If I purchased a four-leg firewall, and use the "four-leg firewall" as
transparent firewall to separate the network into the four ZONE. Will
you think that idea is okay or not ?

Also, nowadays, the new network should be able to support 1000Mbps. Do
i need to purchase a 10/100 Mbps firewall or 10/100/1000 Mbps
firewall?

Thanks

Eric