Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wifi Security / Pentesting

From: "Jorge L. Vazquez" <jlvazquez825 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 18:11:53 -0400

Alexander Swensen wrote:
I recently have gotten into the basics of wifi security and attacks.
I was curious about other kinds of wifi attack tools and methods. Anyone else
know of any? Preferably WEP related but i am interested in others as well.

Here are the major ones i know about. (My knowledge about Backtrack is limited
to Aircrack and Kismet)

Backtrack (linux live CD)
Aircrack
Kismet

I find aircrack-ng one of the best tools to pentest wi-fi, it can also
be installed on windows, but there's a very limited list of cards that
aircrack-ng supports, when I mean support is the fact that you can
inject traffic into the victims AP, (aireplay does that), you could take
a look at netstumbler, although is only for AP discovering, and if the
AP happen to have broadcast disabled it won't detected...I personally do
my testing with kismet, which you can export the file and later open it
with wireshark or airmon-ng also part of the airodump-ng suite...

here's an article you may want to read, it gives you a quick overview of
wi-fi pen-testing plus a video on how to crack WEP keys

http://pctechtips.org/backtrack-cracking-wep-key-with-aircrack-ng/

Jorge L. Vazquez
MCSE, CCNA