Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: What's a good IRC Channel to go to for hacking advise?

From: bgree () gdn net
Date: 2 Oct 2008 17:59:26 -0000

www.hackthissite.org

Look for a link and info to their IRC channel. #hackthissite on whatever guerilla server they are using these days.

I used to frequent the site about 4 or 5 years ago, but left due to the back patting that went on.

Be forewarned you will get flamed for being a n00b, I suggest you steer clear the opers, they can be a bit touchy, and
power trippy, the whole "I'm 13373r than you" thing.

Before asking questions in open channels, do your research, attempt to locate answers yourself using google. Attempt
the challenges on the site. They are well thought out, fun, and often mimic common mistakes made in the real world.
This will help you to think like a tester, and also what to look for in your own code.

I also suggest you lookup Phrack, in particular and article by Aleph1 titled "Smashing the stack for run and profit"
very very useful for what you want to do. Most of your successes will come from using a piece of software and getting
it to do something the designer didn't intend for it to do.

Best of luck.