Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cracking FTP password so that I can convince people not to use FTP, and to instead use SFTP? How do I crack the pwd?

From: Adriel Desautels <ad_lists () netragard com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 23:43:25 -0400

Chip,
        You already asked this question on security basics, I provided you with
a good answer there.

Chip Panarchy wrote:
Hello

I was wondering if I could have some help in 'hacking'/'cracking' an FTP site.

I know that FTP is a very old protocol... so I'm certain that there
are many holes in it. Especially in one that hasn't been maintained
for a few years.

How do I crack the password on the FTP site so that I can use that to
convince the owner of the site (a friend of mine) to switch to SFTP?

I really want to know, because no matter how hard I argue with him,
there still is no comparison to cold hard evidence. I've been trying
to convince him for the last month, but he won't budge. Finally I got
him to give me permission to attempt to hack his FTP site.

So please tell me what method I can use to hack the FTP site.

Thanks in advance,

Chip Panarchy