Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Cracking FTP password so that I can convince people not to use FTP, and to instead use SFTP? How do I crack the pwd?

From: Craig Wilson <cwilson () ppilearning com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 15:59:21 +0100

Chip,

Listen to my advice.

If you are looking at tools like Hydra then what your really looking at is telling your 'client' that he needs secure
passwords which are near impossible to crack (and regular changes to the passwords), and an Intrusion Detection System
to alert and confine when brute force attempts such as this takes place.

As I said, it doesnt matter if you use SFTP or FTP if your worried about someone cracking the password - that's totally
different than worrying about someone eavesdropping on legitimate FTP traffic and stealing the password. If your
worried about that threat then SFTP is the way to go.  Then, ensure the client knows about the need for legitimate
certificates and the need for the client side to be vigilante for fake certificate errors.

Craig

Craig Wilson
Senior IT Network Administrator & Support Analyst
T. 0207 264 5113
M. 07899895510
F. 02072645101
E. cwilson () ppilearning com
W. http://www.ppilearning.com/
P Think Green - Please do not print this email unless you really need to
http://www.ppilearning.com/promotions/winserver2008register.php

This email and any attachments are confidential information and solely intended to be read by the email addressees
above. If you inadvertently receive this email, your access is unauthorised and you may not copy, disclose, distribute
or otherwise use this email and its contents. If you have received this email in error, please inform us immediately at
mailto:SA () PPILearning com and delete all copies from your system. PPI Learning Services accepts no legal liability
for the contents of this email including any errors, interception or interference, as internet communications are not
secure. Whilst PPI Learning Services and the sender have taken every precaution to prevent transmission of computer
viruses, should this inadvertently occur we do not accept any liability. Any offer or acceptance of a contract for
goods or services made in this email is subject to our standard terms and conditions (available on request), unless
other terms and conditions have been agreed in writing between authorised signatories of the parties. PPI Learning
Services Limited. Registered Address: 3-5 Crutched Friars, London, EC3N 2HR. Registered in United Kingdom Company
Number 06008725