Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hardware Firewall

From: "Ale x" <gbanger () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:41:41 +1100

Cisco router IOS does the same as an ASA firewall? I haven't actually
used an ASA yet (except for trying to emulate one with
Dynamips/cygwin) however I am sure there are many differences. For
example the IPS/IDS, proxying, deep packet inspection,
antivirus/antispam, etc.. Fair enough a router with IOS can do ACLs to
block ports and protocols, PBR, SSL VPN connections, etc -- but it's
certainly not a firewall.

I remember reading about Ciscos IPS doing network traffic pattern
recognition, to learn the normal behavoir of your network. Anything
out of the ordinary will be treated as a potential threat. As always
there is plenty of information on Cisco's website.

Of course there are many other platforms that can perform similar
functions, we have Watchguard Firebox's at work. They do the job, but
I can't stand the management software. Nokia Checkpoint firewalls are
always a nice option.

Thanks,
Alex

(sorry didn't mean to double send)