Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Getting the value of an asset and the probability of a risk to it

From: Craig Wright <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 12:18:19 +1000

B is economic value. This is a finance and not accounting calculation.
D is based on opportunity cost and the NPV and IRR of the asset/associated project.

There is a time basis to money. NPV (net present value) is a good means of determining value without being too complex.
IRR is the Internal rate of return. (I also did finance)

Impact in D is the loss associated with the asset being removed or tarnished.

In many large firms (such as GE for instance), the finance and treasury groups will generally determine project
metrics. Most firms buy risk beta's rather than calculating their own.

Look into Decision Tree Analysis (DTA) and Real options analysis for probability.

Probability calculations are commonly monte carlo based (Quasi-Random Stochastic Processes), see:
http://www.global-derivatives.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21
http://www.puc-rio.br/marco.ind/monte-carlo.html

The methods in the following paper can be applied to IT asset risk (though it is based on option calcs):
Pizzi, C. & P. Pellizzari (2002): "Monte Carlo Pricing of American Options - Using Nonparametric Regression" Working
Paper, University of Venice, Italy, August 2002, 15 pp.

Craig

Craig Wright
Manager, Risk Advisory Services

Direct : +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW-VIC) Pty. Ltd.
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
http://www.bdo.com.au/

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential. If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains. If you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls. It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects. BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached. A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au/ or by emailing mailto:administrator ()
bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities. Liability limited by a scheme approved
under Professional Standards Legislation.