Security Basics mailing list archives

R: Removing ping/icmp from a network

From: "Vega - Brunello Ivan" <I.Brunello () vegaspa it>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 19:33:38 +0100

I let icmp flowing into internal network, but usually don't like to let outside ping my published servers.

A user could blame on "cannot open web page", but I expect an average network troubleshooter don't rely on ping on
internet:
after all, I find LOTS of routers in my path to remote sites which drop traceroutes.

Everyone in between is either a script kiddie, or somebody just playing around with ping sweep/basic portscan.

I use icmp on internet just to check whether my ISP has problems going out (as it happens quite frequently :( ),
thus stopping after the 4th-5th hop.

Idserve (from www.grc.com) is out there, and at worst, you can make some sort of "tcp ping" (e.g. a telnet on port 80).

Ivan