Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Port Security on switches?

From: "Bob Emerson" <remerson () ec rr com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:45:03 -0400

Port Security on switches is a good idea. Initial setup is a pain because
you have to keep in mind your own test equipment, ie Fluke meters, laptops,
etc that your own department uses on a daily basis. Each port needs to have
their MAC addresses in the list of approved devices. Then you need to ensure
that you have the MAC address of the device attached to that port. That in
itself is easy to get. Once you do that, then it is a matter of
"housekeeping" to maintain. The problem is notification of "illegal"
equipment. This does not notify you, it locks the port so they cannot access
anything. Then you must unlock it. But it does what it is supposed to do and
that is keep illegal equipment off of your network. I don't care who is
trying to get on, I only care about keeping them off. Bottom line - only
approved equipment is sniffing my network.

Bob Emerson, Network Administrator VA