Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Data Transfer problem

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:57:30 +0200

On 2008-06-18 Adewale, Akin (IT Services - Infosec Team) wrote:
I need a faster secure way to transfer some data with volume over 1tb.

At the moment all data passed over is 256 bit encrypted, with
appropriate controls of passwords etc. We have to date been using LTO
tapes for this, but this is very slow and the recipient have had some
physical problems. Consequently we are looking for a faster method.

The recipient would like to transfer data using a NAS box. This would
need to be attached as a node on the network. What are the security
implications and is there a more secure way of moving this data.

If NAS is the way to go, is there a very secure type?

Depends. If you write only encrypted data to the media (in case of NAS
you could use an encrypted filesystem for instance) the media type
doesn't matter at all. The encryption algorithm, however, does. Without
knowing the algorithm "256 bit" doesn't say much about the strength of
the encryption.

On a more general note:

1. Don't hijack other people's threads. If you want to start a new
   topic, write a new mail instead of replying to someone elses.

2. Adding disclaimers to your mail is utterly pointless. They're just a
   big waste of bandwidth since they don't have any legal impact at all.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."