Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: what should I do when....

From: "Rivest, Philippe" <PRivest () transforce ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 10:42:51 -0400

What you have done should have been to follow your internal procedure for
this kind of "suspicious activity". If you don't have one, one should be
created and approved.

Any how, doing a preliminary research is very good and not too much time
consuming. Your next step should be to contact

1- The company that is probing you and give them the information you have.
What kind of "attack" you have, since when and from where.

2- Advise that company to investigate and remediate to the "disturbing
event". Tell them to contact you for info & upon completion.

3- Lastly if this gets out of hands I would suggest thinking of the ISP level
as they are also responsible for some level of protection (if this is abusive
for example).

Anything you do should be documented with evidence of action and
recommendation you do & take. This is very important to have as it show you
did everything you could with due care and in a timely manner. Keep this
evidence and back it up.

Merci / Thanks
Philippe Rivest, CEH
Vérificateur interne en sécurité de l'information
Courriel: Privest () transforce ca
Téléphone: (514) 331-4417
www.transforce.ca

Vous pourriez imprimer ce courriel, mais faire pousser un arbre c'est long.
You could print this email, but it does takes a long time to grow trees.