Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Information Security in Mergers and Acquisition

From: "Dan Anderson" <dan-anderson () cox net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:49:54 -0500

It's probably been covered to some degree, especially in Meenal A.
Mukadam's great response, but I wanted to call it out specifically:

During the pre-merger "due diligence" phase it is critical (IMO) to do
a gap analysis between the regulatory compliance posture of the merger
candidate and the acquiring organization.  As was mentioned before,
with respect to IP licensing, you also acquire liability.  The board
must be made aware of any possible regulatory compliance issues (PCI,
SOX, etc) as early in the process as possible.

Getting this right can expose and hopefully decrease the financial and
legal risks of the transaction and is an area where the security
organization can show some significant value.

Dan