Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: GIAC Information Security Fundamentals (GISF) - Looking for Books

From: "Rob Thompson" <my.security.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:03:01 -0700

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Razorren <razorren () coralwave com> wrote:
Hi,

Can someone recommend a good book or books to prepare me for this
certification? Paying for the SANS course is too expensive right now so I
planned to try and self study.

Before you make this decision, let me tell you one thing.  I'm not
yelling, but want to stress the importance.

ANYTHING THAT IS IN THE BOOK IS TESTABLE.

Therefore, if you do not have the books, you may miss out on points.
If you want your GSE, points are important, according to a prior post.

Hence one of the reasons I was so irked that my books were missing a
section.  I got tested on something that I wasn't provided.

I was able to find books on Amazon for the GSEC, but nothing for the entry
level GISF course.

For someone who is a Windows / Unix admin is the GISF necessary or you
recommend jumping right into the second level GSEC? Long term I hope to work
my way up through the higher level security certifications.

I did not take the GISF.

I took GSEC.  I can only speak on that.  I'll tell you, I went into it
with a pretty fair amount of knowledge for the average bear.  It
kicked my ass.  Granted, I passed and certified, but it was hard.
Don't get me wrong though, there are tons of folks out there that are
way smarter than me, so it is definately possible.

But I wouldn't recommend doing what you are considering.

What ever you choose, good luck.

Thanks

Ren

--