Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: GIAC Information Security Fundamentals (GISF) - Looking for Books

From: "Mike Hale" <eyeronic.design () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:22:57 -0700

I think you'd be better off going straight for the GSEC.  The GISF is
very, very basic, and if you've got some experience admining windows
and unix you'd be better off with Sec 401.

There are two books I see on Amazon.  One is the GSEC Prep Guide, and
the other is the GSEC Toolkit.  The toolkit book will not give you the
necessary info to pass the exams; I'm unsure about the GSEC Prep
Guide, as I haven't read it.

I teach the class for the local mentoring program, and I must say that
it will be very difficult to pass the exam without the course
materials.  Many of the questions are very specific and come directly
from the books.

One thing you should look into (as that's how I got started) is the
SANS Earn and Learn program.  By your domain name, I'm assuming you're
in the Bahamas.  There is a Community SANS in Gainesville, Florida in
October.  I'd apply for the volunteer program.  For 700, you get
access to the class, the practice tests, the online exam and the
certification attempt.  It's a great program and a good way of getting
the education for cheaper than normal.

Good luck!