Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How does the Cain and Abel SAM dump works?

From: Rob Thompson <my.security.lists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 19:50:39 -0700

Carlos Madrid wrote:
Some advice.. only try to crack the LM hashes.  They won't be longer
then 14 chars.

It's even better than that.  You're cracking two seven character hashes.
 For a total of fourteen.  It's faster to crack two seven character
passwords, than it is to crack one fourteen character pass.

Lan Manager should NEVER be run in production.

EVER.

Also read a little bit for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LM_hash

The hashes are best retrieved with dll injection into lsass.

Random link to save me typing:
http://www.lcpsoft.com/english/articles/passwords.htm

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 3:54 AM, Vikas Singhal