Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: what should I do when....

From: Adriel Desautels <adriel () netragard com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:03:27 -0400

Ansgar,
I almost feel like you are trying to create an argument just for the sake of creating an argument. You didn't answer my initial question which was, can you show me a firewall that does *secure* a network? If you know what you're talking about then the answer should be "no".

Secondly, I never asked for any method to prevent the attack scenario that I described, it was a real world example. Your method for preventing the attack would be great in an ideal world, but *this* is not an ideal world. The fact of the matter is that *most* businesses do not restrict outbound SSL traffic and even less of them decrypt and re-encrypt traffic for the sake of outbound monitoring. Not to mention not all of our outbound connections are established over port 443, we can use any port, hell we can even use ICMP or UDP. There are *much* better solutions to the problem of reverse connections anyway.

http://www.cs.uit.no/~daniels/PingTunnel/ <-- cool stuff.

With respect to your solution, I don't like it. You are creating latency by decrypting, inspecting, and re-encrypting outbound traffic (and do you really think that your *monitoring appliance* will detect our reverse tunnel??). You are creating more work for your employees by setting up white-lists for outbound browsing instead of doing the inverse. Lastly, you are creating what some may consider a vulnerability by decrypting and re-encrypting traffic. What if someone hacks the proxy? Then all of that *secure* ssl content is clear text and theirs for the taking.

The *better* way to prevent people from being compromised is to use something like OSSEC or Cisco's CSA to control the targeted system and limit the possibility of/ease of exploitation. The second thing that should be done is to implement proper security policies and personnel training. You can monitor outbound traffic, but your IDS/IPS devices can only detect what they know to look for, and I know that our attacks and payloads are generally very evasive (IDS is flawed technology and frankly doesn't work as advertised). If you prevent the exploit from working in the first place with OSSEC or CSA then you've defeated most, but not all of the issue.

Firewalls do not secure networks! People who tell people that they do are doing an injustice (its almost a lie). I break into networks for a living, I bypass your security technologies, I circumvent your policies, and I social engineer your people, firewalls aren't a challenge. Thank god I'm one of the good guys right? ;]

Regards,
        Adriel T. Desautels
        Chief Technology Officer
        Netragard, LLC.
        Office : 617-934-0269
        Mobile : 617-633-3821
        http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/118/a45

        Join the Netragard, LLC. Linked In Group:
        http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/48683/0B98E1705142

Netragard, LLC - http://www.netragard.com  -  "We make IT Safe"
Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Assessments, Website Security

Netragard Whitepaper Downloads:
Choosing the right provider : http://tinyurl.com/2ahk3j
Three Things you must know  : http://tinyurl.com/26pjsn