Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: what should I do when....

From: Adriel Desautels <adriel () netragard com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:44:50 -0400

I certainly agree,
Let me make clear that firewalls do serve a function in enforcing good security, I just don't consider them to be a security device per-sae.

Regards,
        Adriel T. Desautels
        Chief Technology Officer
        Netragard, LLC.
        Office : 617-934-0269
        Mobile : 617-633-3821
        http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/118/a45

        Join the Netragard, LLC. Linked In Group:
        http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/48683/0B98E1705142

Netragard, LLC - http://www.netragard.com  -  "We make IT Safe"
Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Assessments, Website Security

Netragard Whitepaper Downloads:
-------------------------------
Choosing the right provider : http://tinyurl.com/2ahk3j
Three Things you must know  : http://tinyurl.com/26pjsn

? aditya mukadam ? wrote:
Wow, its good to know various viewpoints about firewall. I think
firewall is absoluetly important and can be considered one of the
first layer of defense against common exploits which work on known
ports. Again, it all depends how you make use of it and for that you
need to know what you are really defending.

For example:

Stateful firewall perform stateful inspection of packets. ie will only
allow internet traffic to come in to the trusted network(inside of
firewall) if a connection/session is initiated from one of the
pc/machines on its trusted network. So,  web initiated evil traffic
towards the Firewall will get dropped. Mr. Firewall will fail to do
its job  if the someone just opens email with worms/virus sitting on
the trusted network. If its a trojan making connection from trusted
network to internet, Mr. Firewall would not know that :-( . So, we
would need additional security devices like IPS etc to monitor such
traffic.

So in short, firewall is important but not sufficient to protect.

Please note there are higher end firewalls ( Juniper SSGs & Cisco
ASAs) which can have integrated URL filter,IPS module in it. So, more
the $$$ firewall can be armed with more ammos to fight
worms/trojans/viruses/attacks etc :-))

Thanks,
Adi