Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: microsoft updates

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 16:24:19 +0100

On 2008-01-02 Worrell, Brian wrote:
On 2007-12-31 Dave Koontz wrote:
Umm... check out Windows Genuine Advantage.  Pirated copies will
fail updates (as they should).

No, they shouldn't. Not being able to update won't magically make
people buy Windows instead of running pirated copies. They'll just
cease updating, so we'll continue to have a healthy bot population.
Thank you, Microsoft.

Many Pirated copies of XP I have seen where infected with Trojans or
had files missing in the first place.

But that aside, if M$ let people update pirated copies, would that not
let more people think they can pirate it, rather than buy it? Which
would make a larger bot network by your theory?

I don't think that prohibiting updates (or making updating an annoyance)
for users of pirated copies will have much influence on the sold to
pirated copies ratio. Like I said before it's much more likely that
people will continue to run pirated copies and simply stop updating.

So, without WGA you have a significant number of pirated copies with a
nonzero chance that they will be patched up. With WGA you'll have
roughly the same number of pirated copies, only now most of them won't
be patched.

I'd say it's rather clear which scenario makes the larger bot net.

cu
59cobalt
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."