Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Remote desktop access policy

From: "Gleb Paharenko" <gpaharenko () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:28:10 +0200

Hi.

In my opinion it depends on what gain will company obtain comparatively to risks
you're getting by allowing remote vpn desktop connections.

In most cases perhaps, only system administrators of business
continuity critical systems should have remote access to that systems,
but not sure if they need connection to their desktops in this case.

*There are*  threats of leaving average user or even system
administrators computers turn on to the corporate network at night or
holidays:
 - some user process which is under control can damage other systems
(say looping access to resource can overwrite some servers log.
 - hackers can work at night

I'm always turn off my windows machine and put down network interface
on linux :)
Same you can apply to customer machine - turn off policy and even
automatic limiting network access in non business time.