Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Removing Local Admin Accounts - What do you think?

From: "Worrell, Brian" <BWorrell () isdh IN gov>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:58:34 -0500

Rob,

From experience, IT people will need admin access to the local PC's, but
it was always best to add them to the admins group rather than share the
admin account password.  This allows you to have some logging (if you
enable it of course) in the event that you have a security issue.

As for the admin account it self, I would rename it, and limit who has
that password.  Not sure that this is a universal best practice, but
have seen that done by some universities as well as some medical groups.

Not sure that you can delete it completely though.  End user wise, I
have yet to find an application that could not run without admin rights.
Saying that, you may have to run the old sysinteral apps to see what reg
keys and file permissions need tweaked.

Thanks
Brian

On Jan 13, 2008 7:19 PM, Rob Thompson <my.security.lists () gmail com>