Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Law Enforcement Foresics Tools

From: "TVB NOC" <tvbnoc () temeculavalleybank com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 12:06:56 -0800

Any evidence that is gathered, rather it is virtual, physical, or other,
needs to follow a court approved process. An Encase Certified
Investigator using Encase software can have their evidence thrown out
just as quickly as someone utilizing an open source solution if a Judge
or court deems the evidence was not gathered or handle properly.

The only problem sometimes with open source solutions in a court room,
is that someone can argue that the solution used is not certifiable and
therefore can be subject to providing false positives...

Just my 2 cents... Again, like Samuel stated, I am not trying to argue,
just providing information based on what I have read in the past or
watched on TV...