Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Law Enforcement Foresics Tools

From: "Mason, Samuel" <SMason () mt gov>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 11:28:33 -0700

No disrespect intended (and I'm not trying to start an argument) but I think it's important to state that court systems
do not approve or disapprove forensic tools. Therefore a freeware tool should be, from a court perspective, just as
good as a purchased tool. What I've heard from experts (having never tried a case in court myself) is that evidence
without a chain of custody, timelines, and other sound forensic practices is just as likely to be shot down from EnCase
as any other tool.

Again, not saying you had proposed this per se in your message but I thought I'd pass along that chestnut of wisdom
from pros.

Samuel Mason CISSP, GCFA