Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: starting

From: "Jon R. Kibler" <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:59:56 -0500

Ale wrote:
  Hi! this is my first mail in this list.
Sorry for begin to "noob" but i want to start reading and learning
about securty holes, exploits, how to fix if or take advantage of
then...well anything about web servers, proxy's, networks, etc..and i
don't know where start. Can someone please recommend me some good
text, book or web page?

Many thanks, cheers!

Although I consider the crew at Foundstone to be a bunch of
'sell outs' for having sold their company to McAfee, their
"Hacking Exposed" books are a great place to start. (Note:
Check them out at your local library first -- some are MUCH
better than others.)

Also, if you have about $400, buy the EC-Councils courseware
for the Certified Ethical Hacker training. It is very tool
oriented and packed full of good info. However, you will need
to do a lot of online research for each topic in the course;
the course does not stand on its own.

Finally, attend a con. Recommendations for inexpensive but
high quality conferences in the US include:
        ShmooCon
        DefCon
        ToorCon

Jon Kibler