Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Question

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:36:21 +0100

On 2008-02-08 Lee Hilt wrote:
This probably would be a simple question, however I havent found a
clean method to do this.

If you have, lets say the seed and the Key generated for a particular
secret, but no clue as to which algoritm was used to generate the key,
Is there a clean method for deriving how the secret was generated?

For example, if you had

Seed: Frank Smith
Generated Secret : F5678B24783G

Could you then find out how to make the same mutation on an Initial
string to Generate "valid" keys based on the algoritm.

Not sure if I have explained this well, and it is for a project I am
doing and I am looking at any potential workarounds in the system I
might miss that might exploit my system.

1) Do not hijack other people's threads. Want to start a new topic?
   Write a new mail instead of replying to someone else's.
2) Choose a meaningful subject for your mail. Preferrably something that
   summarizes your topic.
3) There is no single straightforward method to identify an algorithm
   from a given cleartext/ciphertext combination. There may, however, be
   ways to identify the algorithm. Cryptanalysis deals with this kind of
   things.
4) Do not base your security on the secrecy of your algorithm. It's a
   basic principle of security that a system should remain secure as
   long as the key/passphrase remains secret, even if the algorithm is
   known to the attacker. This is known as Kerckhoff's Principle.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."