Security Basics mailing list archives

Question

From: "Lee Hilt" <lhilt () mbc edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 12:03:01 -0500

This probably would be a simple question, however I havent found a clean
method to do this.

If you have, lets say the seed and the Key generated for a particular
secret, but no clue as to which algoritm was used to generate the key, Is
there a clean method for deriving how the secret was generated?

For example, if you had

Seed: Frank Smith
Generated Secret : F5678B24783G

Could you then find out how to make the same mutation on an Initial string
to Generate "valid" keys based on the algoritm.

Not sure if I have explained this well, and it is for a project I am doing
and I am looking at any potential workarounds in the system I might miss
that might exploit my system.

(The above is not a true generated example, just one I have put here to
further my question)