Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: AD Child Domains

From: "Sheldon Malm" <smalm () ncircle com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 06:34:38 -0700

Raoul: this should be negotiated at the political level before
scrambling to find a technical solution.  There is nothing particularly
"strict" about PCI's password guidelines.  It's clear that PCI is enough
of a driver in your organization to have sparked this discussion (which
is good), however PCI is focused primarily on protecting cardholder
data.  The PCI DSS as written today is not a draconian Security
Standard.

My best advice before you complicate your AD environment would be to
make sure that standard password enforcement is absolutely out of the
question.  Given the huge increase in client-side attacks over the last
18 months, it is in your organization's best interest to get these users
out of the dark ages.  You're not forcing the use of SecureID tokens
here - this is standard 21st Century common sense.  This sounds like an
education and socialization question; not a technical one.

My 2 cents.

Sheldon Malm
Director
Security Research & Development