Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Authentication question & problem

From: "Sheldon Malm" <smalm () ncircle com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:18:07 -0700

There are pretty standard solutions out there to accomplish this with
one or more of the following solutions in place (I would recommend
combining some of these solutions if it's practical):
1. VPN between sites (pretty much as outlined below)
        - note that "their own authentication) mechanism" as stated
below by Tremaine does not necessarily mean user logon prompt (see point
#2 below).

2. Federated identity solutions (spanning authentication, authorization,
and probably federated provisioning as well)
        - SSO is a key component of making this work

3. Trusted strong authentication, if necessary
        - Trusted RSA ACE/Token realms have been in place for ages
        - PKI/Cert solutions have similar value

There is a tonne of information on the 'net about enabling Third Party
trust relationships with a simplified user experience.  The 3 outlined
above should give you a starting point to look over your options.  The
bottom line is, this is a business need that is well understood and has
lots of relatively mature options to address it.

Sheldon Malm
Director
Security Research & Development
nCircle Network Security