Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tunnel DNS queries

From: "Ayaz Ahmed Khan" <ayaz () pakcon org>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 22:39:21 +0500

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 8:31 AM, secrookie () gmail com
<secrookie () gmail com> wrote:
I am researching on how to tunnel udp DNS queries.

 There are lots of information on how to do this for secure web
 browsing (ssh/squid, enable remote dns proxy in config: firefox
 etc..).

 I would like to tunnel all DNS queries from a Linux box via ssh to a
 remote DNS server.  I looked into port forwarding 53 but was not
 sucessfull.  As DNS queries are UDP I am not sure if it will work with
 openssh.  My understanding is openssh tunnel only works with TCP.

 Any input would be appreciated.

Using socat, I have in the past easily managed to serve DNS requests
coming on port 53 by forwarding them to external DNS servers.  I have
not tried routing them enveloped in an SSH tunnel.  Though, for
something as trivial as DNS queries, I don't know why one would want
to do that.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan

"I'm returning this note to you, instead of your paper, because it
(your paper) presently occupies the bottom of my bird cage."
 -- English Professor, Providence College