Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tunnel DNS queries

From: "Arturas Zalenekas" <security () zalenekas net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:14:11 -0500 (CDT)

Hi secrookie,

take a look at VPN solutions for linux (e.g. OpenVPN).
Fast and uncomplicated to implement.

But if you really want to get UDP working through SSH tunnel ...
http://www.zarb.org/~gc/html/udp-in-ssh-tunneling.html

Have fun.

Kind regards,

Arturas Zalenekas
Network Security Engineer and Analyst

I am researching on how to tunnel udp DNS queries.

There are lots of information on how to do this for secure web
browsing (ssh/squid, enable remote dns proxy in config: firefox
etc..).

I would like to tunnel all DNS queries from a Linux box via ssh to a
remote DNS server.  I looked into port forwarding 53 but was not
sucessfull.  As DNS queries are UDP I am not sure if it will work with
openssh.  My understanding is openssh tunnel only works with TCP.

Any input would be appreciated.

regards,
secrookie