Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anti-Phishing Strategies

From: p1g <killfactory () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 00:21:54 -0400

I agree with Tim.

You have to push some of the responsibility to your end users. You
need to also state in your policies that the end user must absorb the
responsibility.

'Normal Education Stuff' cough cough. What is that?

I hope it includes incident reporting. I do however feel it is your
responsibility to help educate the end user. Help them to identify
suspicious activity. Teach them to report an incident even if they are
not sure it is a real incident. You have to start a culture where the
end user feel comfortable reporting anything and everything.

Now, I know it is easier said than done for a lot of companies. Mine too.

I have found that sending 'Security Bullentins; to all users at the
first sign of a phishing attack. Also, include a copy of the email in
the bulletin. This is usually an eye opener for employees. They get to
see a 'REAL' email with suspicious content. They get to see how 'REAL'
or 'convincing' they look.

Be sure to reiterate your awareness points in the email. remind them
that legit companies WON'T use emails to collect sensitive
information. Not to open untrusted or unsolicited emails.

Everytime I send out a bulletin, and I mean EVERY time, users will
will open up and report suspicious activity they didn't think was
suspicious, but now they know.

This doesn't solve the problem, but it really helps.

I've blabbed too much.

My 2 cents..
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Timmothy Lester