Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Protection against fake mails

From: Nick Owen <nickowen () mindspring com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:40:17 -0400

WALI wrote:
If we a do a google search for the following string "Send free, anonymous and easy fake email", one of the sites we get is 'deadfake.com'...and many others. I can send an email to myself from myself by filling in the two fields at the website.

Technically, what such sites seems to be doing is that, such mailers add an X-Mailer attribute to the message header indicating the message origin, and an X-Originating-Ip (a real one).

How do I guard against such emails originating from fake email impersonations. Is there something I can do at our email gateway, proxy or exchange sever (2003) levels?

As an aside, what a great spam target  collection tool.

Nick

--
Nick Owen
WiKID Systems, Inc.