Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Internet usage and monitoring

From: "Beauford, Jason" <Jason.Beauford () unitedpetgroup com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:52:20 -0400

Ntopxtra runs on windows for Free:  http://www.openxtra.co.uk/freestuff/ntop-xtra.php

jmb

-----Original Message-----
From: listbounce () securityfocus com [mailto:listbounce () securityfocus com] On Behalf Of John Mason Jr
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 12:10 PM
To: security-basics () lists securityfocus com
Subject: Re: Internet usage and monitoring

Actually ntop will run on windows <http://www.ntop.org/support.html> but
you either must pay for the compiled version or compile it yourself from
sources

John

Isaac Perez Moncho wrote:
Hello Jono,
the best program I know for that is ntop.
It doesn't run on windows, but you can put a old (p2 or p3) box with a
linux installed and ntop.
It can be running all the time and collecting data.
An old p2 can be very cheap if not free, linux is free and ntop too.
It's accesed and monitored by web so the client only needs a web
browser. And can see the result from any place.
I think is a good solution for your environment. If you can't have
another box for it, you can use vmplayer (free) to run linux-ntop in the
windows you want.