Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Internet usage and monitoring

From: "James Harless" <jharless () kidwellcompanies com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:48:58 -0500

Surfcontrol.  Yeah.. the license is more expensive but, you'll save a lot of cost in labor, in my experience.  They
have a hosted model and an enterprise product they can deploy to your network.  It's easy to deploy and there is very
good reporting (particularly in the enterprise product).

I think one of the benefits that is most oft overlooked with web filtering is the protection of the desktop users from
spyware/adware.  Products like SurfControl/Websense (merging real soon) do a good job of categorizing those sites and
you'll see a dramatic decrease in the amount of time spent cleaning up that kind of stuff.  I work for a small MSP and
most of our customers see web filtering save them money over time.

James Harless