Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Routing protocols, Internet vs Enterprises

From: gjgowey () tmo blackberry net
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:16:46 +0000

With companies one of the first questions that I think some people forget to ask is if a routing protocol is really
necessary for the network topology that they have.  Routing protocols are only really useful for when you have multiple
paths out of your particular subnet.  If you only have one path out then using any routing protocol is needless.

That may seem like common sense, but I used to work for one large employer who, because the network admins weren't too
bright about routing, used ospf on every router they had to link all their buildings.  Even though each router only had
a single T1 connecting it directly to the core router at the noc and that router had a direct 10/100 link to the
upstream providers router.  I'd tell more, but I think some people here would think I was bullshitting.

Geoff

Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.