Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network Monitoring

From: "Strykar" <str () hackerzlair org>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 06:45:42 +0530

We are currently experiencing a problem with network slowdowns. I was
wondering if there are any software applications out there that can
monitor
internal traffic to measure the efficiency of the internal network? I
want
to see if the bottleneck is with one of our backbones or if a user is
flooding the network b/c of spyware. Any suggestions??

Setup port spanning/mirroring at choke points on your network.
Next stop, get ntop and MRTG.

Depending on the amount of traffic, ntop may need a dedicated machine to run
on, but will give you all the information you need on the packet flow it
sees.

- S