Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network Monitoring

From: "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:10:36 -0700

On 9/20/07, Davis Kwan <dkwan () georgina ca> wrote:
Hi list,

We are currently experiencing a problem with network slowdowns. I was
wondering if there are any software applications out there that can monitor
internal traffic to measure the efficiency of the internal network? I want
to see if the bottleneck is with one of our backbones or if a user is
flooding the network b/c of spyware. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance,
Davis

Can you set up port mirroring/spanning at various points in your
network? If so, I'd suggest thinking about NTOP. It'll allow you to
measure bandwidth utilization whever you plug it in, and it will
categorize the traffic it sees for you, and graph it, and tell you
about your top three talkers, and stuff like that. Cool app.

Kurt