Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Vulnerability assesment or scanner Tools

From: "Sheldon Malm" <smalm () ncircle com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:57:51 -0700

Already replied directly to soul, but I might as well reply to all ...

- If you want a quick and dirty snapshot, nessus is just fine.
- If you want authenticated patch verification for MS Advisories against
Microsoft products, MBSA is just fine.
- If you want to deploy and manage an enterprise system in-house,
nCircle is the choice (all personal bias aside).
- If you want someone else to manage your security data and
infrastructure, you can either go with Qualys or an MSSP (Managed
Security Service Provider).
        - There are a ton of MSSP's and most of us in the Vuln Mgmt
space have our technology in use by a number of them under the covers.

This is one man's opinion.  I encourage you to look around and get
opinions from others.

Research is good and asking the list is a great first step.  :))

Sheldon Malm
Director
Security Research & Development
nCircle Network Security