Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Ideas for studentes

From: "Vandenberg, Robert" <rv2954 () att com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:18:48 -0700

 Javier,

To elaborate on that further.  I teach Information Security for a
Technical College in the US.

One of our classes is hacker techniques.  We go through a 11 week
cirriculum in which we teach various techniques like sniffing, cracking,
session hijacking, etc.  I break up my students into teams of 2 to 3 in
the labs and have them on a common network.  There they have to do
online searching for at least one Linux and one windows based
application for that performs the same function that we discussed.  They
then use it on another team of students so that we can see both "cause
and effect".  I have them turn in at the end of the class, a disk with
their "hacker toolkit" complete with applications/tools and an
explanation for why they selected each one of these.

Bob