Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Old anti-virus program version with latest virus definition file

From: "Ramsdell, Scott" <Scott.Ramsdell () cellnethunt com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 13:17:33 -0400

Foragersec,

You could still be vulnerable if the anti-virus client itself has a
vulnerability that could be exploited.

For example, not too long ago an AV client (forgot which) had the
following vulnerability:

1. the client launched an .exe with system privileges
2. the client install added the client directory to the end of the
Windows PATH variable
3. the client did not validate that the .exe was launched from the
install directory

So, any malicious individual who could drop a similarly named .exe into
a directory in the PATH prior to the client install directory would get
their .exe ran with system privileges.

Kind Regards,

Scott Ramsdell
CISSP CCNA MSCE