Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: NAT external/Public IP

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 07:43:54 +1100

"The server will become more secure by being disconnected. This is not obscurity."

Of course it won't. CIA - The A being ABAILABILITY.

 I am sorry, but the argument - I will DoS myself first - so I am secure is futile and ridiculous.

 For example.

1.            Back in the 80's I had a professor who thought this way. Let's say professor C. from QLD Aust to protect
the guilty. He would remove the disks from the servers he managed each night and store them in his locked cabinet.

I was doing a class at the time while also working for the RAAF (air-force). Like many externally based students I was
not always at the computer lab in tutorial times. The University had remote access (internet in effect - but not called
that then).

Professor C would install the disks in the server again in the morning. He thought that this was more secure as well
and there was a write-up in one of the computer rags at the time. You may guess that some people had problems working
on their assignments/projects. I know as I was one of them.

So a limited availability affected the ability of the system to deliver its required services - it was in effect less
secure.

(And it also happened that one of the internal students broke into the system when it was online anyway).

2.            An Australian Federal Govt. Department. Back about the turn of the millennium, a company I ran had a
contract with DFAT. From time to time we received information about pending events. On one such occasion, we received
intelligence that one of the Commonwealth Dept. websites was going to be attacked. The attack was to be a DDoS against
the web site in order to stop people from using the eCommerce system prior to Christmas and just after and cause
embarrassment to the government.

The answer the site admin made was that the department shut down the internet connection for 2 weeks. This was internal
and external access.  I would call this a successful DoS and no packet was ever sent!

To conclude.

Availability is one of the fundamentals of securing a system. Talk of a secure system in the ocean flaw, locked away
etc is missing the point - it needs to be available to be secure.

Regards,

Dr Craig Wright (GSE-Compliance)

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct : +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.